Here is a probably dumb question.

Currently (as far as I am aware), most spkgs should pass with
SAGE_CHECK set, though it does depend on the platform and specific
machine.  Python is somewhat notorious for not doing so.  I'd like to
be able to start using SAGE_CHECK while building, but currently this
is annoying because it means I have to wait until it fails with
Python, then unset it for Python, reset it on the next spkg... not
very automated.

Could there be yet another variable SAGE_CHECK_PYTHON or something
which is for checking just that, or SAGE_CHECK_NOT_PYTHON which
doesn't, or...?   I realize there are all kinds of annoying issues
here.

Maybe a minimal way would be to introduce SAGE_CHECK_PYTHON, and then
if one has SAGE_CHECK set during the Python build it gives a message
about how to "really" check its self-tests, with no other behavior
changed.

Alternately, if there actually is an easy way to use SAGE_CHECK for
everything except Python, please let me know.

Thanks!
- kcrisman