On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:01:41 PM UTC-8, R. Andrew Ohana wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:04, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:59:45 PM UTC-8, William wrote:

> the

> >> Another option is to turn of optimization (-O0) when building part of
> >> PARI under XCode 4.x, since the problem is bad compiler optimization.
> >>   I just tried, export SAGE_DEBUG="yes", then building PARI with
> >> SAGE_CHECK="yes", and I get: "The PARI self-tests all passed".
> >>
> >> So something based on optimization flags is the workaround I'll pursue
> >> for now.   Something that is slightly slower than optimal is way
> >> better than infinitely slower.
> >

> > I've been trying to build Sage with OS X Lion over the past few days, and
> > things are going pretty well: there are a few doctest failures, but I
> think
> > most are numerical noise.  Most spkgs build just fine, but because of
> bugs
> > in Apple's compiler, a few -- pari, gsl, symmetrica -- have problems
> unless
> > we modify them.  So I propose the following modifications in the
> > spkg-install scripts for those packages:
> >
> >  - check to see if running Lion, and if so
> >  - check to see if /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 exists.  this might be available
> from an
> > older installation of XCode, or it can be installed using the gcc package
> > Georg posted a link to: http://r.research.att.com/tools/.  If it's
> there,
> > set CC=gcc-4.2.
> >  - otherwise, turn off optimization (compile with -O0) for those
> packages.
> > This seems to avoid the bugs, although it will slow down those specific
> > pieces of code.
> >
> > Opinions?
> Do we know which files build incorrectly, we should only set the flag
> for those (and not the whole library).

I tried that and still got self-test failures.  I didn't try all possible
combinations of compiling some files with -O3 and some with -O0 until tests
passed.

> Also, we should see if -O1
> works too.

No, it doesn't.  I tried that.

[snip]

I've started looking into the difficulties of getting sage to build
> with clang (on lion), and have made some progress on the sage
> libraries.
>
> Using CC=clang, CXX=clang++, and SAGE_CHECK=yes for all spkgs except

I thought I had tried this with pari and had failures, but now it seems to
work.  In an existing Sage build, installing cvxopt this way doesn't work
for me -- I get self test failures -- but maybe setting CC=clang (etc.) and
building the whole thing from scratch will work better.

Please keep working on this; it sounds like you're getting somewhere.

--
John