On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:52, Dr. David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 01/31/12 09:20 PM, R. Andrew Ohana wrote:

>>> C does't have nested functions, this is a GNU extension.
>>

>> True, however clang aims to be gcc compatible, and intends to support
>> nested functions at some (indeterminate) point in the future.
>

> But it makes the code unportable. What hope do we have with the Sun/Oracle
> compiler if idiots use non-standard C? What hope do we have if we try to
> build on Windows at some point in the future using a native compiler? All
> these GNU extensions are a headache for everyone except the linux community.
>
> If there was not so much poor code in Sage, building with the Sun compiler
> would be possible, but it rejects much of the code.
>

>>> Any code that uses
>>> them should be rewritten to be standards-compliant C.
>

> Agreed.

To clarify, I was not arguing for using GNU extensions, I was merely
trying to point out what clang intends to do, and some current
troubles with it. I agree that we should have standards-compliant C,
which is part of the reason I started working on a clang port, since
it is more restrict in this regards that gcc (but less so than other c
compilers).

--
Andrew