On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Various aspects of building Sage might be cleaner if we used autoconf:
>
>   ./configure  OPTIONS
>   make
>
> OPTIONS could include a location to install Sage, various flags for building
> ATLAS, and other options which we currently control by setting environment
> variables. For typical users, we should aim for
>
>   ./configure
>   make
>
> to work. We should also continue to use the current environment
> variables--no need to remove them, just provide another way of setting them.
> Should we vote?
>
>  [ ]  Switch to autoconf
>  [ ]  Keep the current build system

An intermediate option might be of interest to people who have
actually tried to write build systems using autoconf, a.k.a.,
"autohell":

[ ] Support something we call "./configure".

This ./configure may be optionally run before doing "make", and may or
may not actually be implemented using autoconf, but definitely will
use standard POSIX options, and support features mentioned above
(e.g., install locations).

 -- William

--
William Stein