On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 02/ 8/12 09:11 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-02-08 16:37, David Kirkby wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, due to what appears to be a bug with Pynac, importing a
>>> lot of python modules, 64-bit binaries on Solaris do not run well.
>>
>> So, if I understand you correctly, Sage *builds* but it doesn't actually
>> work properly?  I actually meant "builds and runs as it should" with
>> SAGE64=yes in my original question.
>

> I believe Sage builds and runs as it should on some older releases of OS X,
> where the default was to build 32-bit binaries. So if you want to test it,
> find out what versions of OS X have this property, and test on that.
>

> SAGE64 was first introduced when Micheal decided to port Sage to OS X -

Minor correction:  he was getting Sage to build on OS X as a 64-bit
application.  Sage already built and ran fine as a 32-bit program on
OS X.     With OS X 10.5, the default with gcc was to generate 32-bit
code, so building 64-bit meant passing various flags at the right
places.

>>> So unless someone comes up with something better, I think SAGE64 should
>>> not be altered.
>>
>> My main problem is testing SAGE64.  If some new spkg breaks a SAGE64
>> build, nobody is going to notice.  Most authors and reviewers (including
>> me) are unable to test whether SAGE64 really works.
>

> I believe William is going to switch on t2.math. In which case, you can test

Yes.  The math dept now has the whole server room to ourselves.

> the building on that. However, Sage wont run properly until someone fixes
> the fact Pynac is calling modules which are not initialised
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11116
>
> So unless the pynac issue is resolved, the best you can do on Solaris SPARC
> is test Sage builds with SAGE64 set to yes. (R still presents a problem on
> 64-bit Solaris x86).
>
> But on OS X, this should be easy to test - assuming you can find the
> hardware with a sufficiently old version of OS X

10.5

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics