On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> A personal anecdote: I've used sage for about 4 years, but only started
> contributing in the last couple of months because the development process
> looks scary to an outsider.
>
> When I started, at every step of the process, I already knew what I wanted
> to do: I work on other open source stuff, and the DVCS workflow is pretty
> standard. But sage has a special way of doing even simple tasks. Some of the
> differences are important (There are different hg repos in every directory?
> Ha ha, got me!), but many of them aren't. When you're new, you don't know
> the difference, so there's a lot of sage-only stuff you have to keep in your
> head at once.

+100 And the special way of doing simple tasks slows core and casual
non-newbees alike. (Think about the work required to fix a typo in a
docstring...) As I've said before "22 easy steps"
http://www.liafa.jussieu.fr/~labbe/Sage/how-to-contribute/ is way to
many.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 2/9/12 4:44 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Jason Grout<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> +1.  And then the new user that is learning how to do sage has skills
>>> that
>>> transfer elsewhere.
>>

>> That's a slippery slope, but tempting when you get so used to UNIX
>> from years of use, that it all seems trivial to you.    Maybe you
>> don't teach classes that involve a component on Sage development, but
>> I do, and 95% (or more) of students don't have even the slightest clue
>> about anything regarding UNIX.   Making them learn UNIX at the same
>> time as Sage development is a recipe for confusion, and I don't think
>> it is necessary.
>>
>> What we really need to expand the contributor base substantially at
>> this point is "total magic", so people can fully develop on Sage
>> without ever having to use command such as mv, cp, hg, and ln, and of
>> course this should be a web-based development environment.
>

> Exactly what I've been thinking.  The barrier for very new contributors
> needs to be lower (i.e., you don't even have to install Sage; everything is
> over the web, from editing to submitting patches), and the bar for serious
> developers can be raised slightly to incorporate more standard skills (which
> in itself will attract more serious developers, if it is easy for them to
> get up to speed by using their standard development skillset.)

That would be great. Even as a half-way point, if the user could just
use/edit/hack/debug/test on their local copy however they wanted, and
when they want to submit what they have just "press a button" that
would create a commit and upload it to the right places all behind the
scenes (and the reverse to review/continue editing on a ticket, and a
"reset" button could be provided, all backed by a real dvcs for power
users), that would be a huge step forward.

I'm really excited to see the enthusiasm for re-vamping our workflow
at a basic level. Perhaps it's worth writing up a SEP to consolidate
all these ideas and craft the ideal workflow it doesn't get lost among
a myriad of random email threads.

- Robert