On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It does always timeout. The regular doctests take 1300 seconds for
>> > sandpile.py! I need to figure out what's going on there.

>> > Well, I wasn't *too* surprised. I guess I was hoping for everything to
>> > work perfectly with no intervention. But it does seem to be working now,
>> > with a longer timeout.
>>
>> Some followup (#10702 notwithstanding):
>>
>> So I tried out the patchbot. Seemed to work reasonably well at
>> first.
>>
>> Then I came into my office this morning.  Computer was humming at a
>> VERY decent clip; I could not get the screen to appear, Ctrl-C did
>> nothing, nothing nothing nothing, but clearly very busy (testing,
>> perhaps).  I had to restart it manually.
>>
>> Now I'm looking for where the patchbot might have left some residue of
>> its doings so that I can make sure this doesn't happen again (perhaps
>> by setting some configuration thingie).  But I can really only find
>> the local/bin/patchbot folder, which doesn't seem to have a log.
>>
>> So I now have two questions:
>>
>> 1) Can I configure so that it runs ONE thread at a time?  I noticed it
>> was running 3 threads... on a machine with one processor at < 1 GHz.
>> I didn't see a place for setting this in the patchbot - is that the
>> "parallelism": 3 setting?  Perhaps "doctest_threads" or something
>> could be an alternate setting.  In any case, this should be a little
>> more sophisticated than 3 as a default - maybe number of cores +1 or
>> something.  I hope this is what the problem I had was.
>
> On a related note, an option to have patchbot only test files actually
> changed in the patches would be useful.  Obviously this would not be
> the default!  But it could be useful for running "sage --patchbot
> ticket --ticket-doctests-only" in the background for a quick one-liner
> to check that.

I would think that these are the set of files that would be most
likely to be tested by a user before submitting... the advantage of
the patchbot is that it tests everything, catching unexpected
breakages, and doing the long-running work without manual
intervention. But this could be useful for running it manually (but
should *not* give an "all tests passed" result until all tests are
run).

- Robert