On Feb 21, 2012, at 16:57 , R. Andrew Ohana wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 15:37, Justin C. Walker <jus...@mac.com> wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Positive:
>>>
>>> $ uname -pr
>>> 11.3.0 i386

>>> OSX has included extensions in the 32-bit kernel to execute 64-bit
>>> code since leopard (or potentially earlier), this only indicates that
>>> the kernel + hardware supports executing 64-bit code.
>>
>> I don't think this is really correct.  This is what the Apple website says:
>>
>> =========
>> These Macs use the 64-bit kernel by default in Mac OS X v10.6.
>>
>>        • Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
>>        • MacBook Pro (Early 2011)
>>        • iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2011)
>> =========
>
> Yes, although for lion it seems to be a much larger number of systems.

Not sure about that, but I don't know why that would be.

>> I'm running the MacBook Pro (Early 2011).  'uname -pr'

To be clear: I am running 10.7 on this MacBook.

> Looking at another system that has booted with the 64-bit kernel it
> seems that -p does not distinguish, but -m does:
>
> sqrt5:~ uname -m
> i386
>
> sage1:~ uname -m
> x86_64

Yeah; the "-p" is the ISP architecture (the machine "api"): i386 is the common
ISP architecture for (most) Intel processors; "-m" is the hardware type (in my
case: Core i7), x86_64.

> 'file /mach_kernel' matches on these two systems

That's because Apple ships a single (universal) kernel binary that is intended
to work on all supported systems.

Cheers,

Justin

--