On 22 February 2012 13:41, Maarten Derickx <m.derickx.stud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sage-developers,
>
> Michiel Kosters and I are currently writing a proposal for the Lorentz
> Center [1] in order to organize a sage days on the subject of function

Great idea!

> fields. It would be useful for us to have an estimate of how many of you are
> interested in participating in such a Sage Days. It would also be useful for
> us to know if you would like to have certain function field functionality in
> sage for your own research to explain to the Lorentz Center why such a sage
> days should be organized (other arguments are welcome to!).
> So to be concrete:
>
> 1. Are you willing to participate in such a sage days?

Yes, as long as the dates are convenient.

> 1. a) If yes, are there dates around the end of this year which are very
> inconvenient for you?

Not the last week in September
(http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/research/events/2012-2013/numbertheory/selmergroups/).
 There might be some other periods I cannot make as this will fall
within the 2012-13 Warwick Number Theory Symposium (year-long) -- see
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/research/events/2012-2013/numbertheory/).

> 2. Why do you want sage to get better at computing stuff about function
> fields?

I implemented quite a few function field things using Magma a few
years ago, including finding rational points on conics over function
fields (joint with Mark van Hoeij) and some 2-descent on ellitpic
curves over F_p(T), p odd (joint with David Roberts), most of which is
now in Magma, but most is not in Sage.  And I like function fields,
and consider them to be an area where Sage lags behind Magma still.

John