Hi Maarten,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 05:41:16AM -0800, Maarten Derickx wrote:
> Dear Sage-developers,
>
> Michiel Kosters and I are currently writing a proposal for the Lorentz
> Center [1] in order to organize a sage days on the subject of function
> fields. It would be useful for us to have an estimate of how many of you
> are interested in participating in such a Sage Days. It would also be
> useful for us to know if you would like to have certain function field
> functionality in sage for your own research to explain to the Lorentz
> Center why such a sage days should be organized (other arguments are
> welcome to!).
> So to be concrete:
>
> 1. Are you willing to participate in such a sage days?
> 1. a) If yes, are there dates around the end of this year which are very
> inconvenient for you?

I would be willing to participate in this. For me a date before mid-October
would be great, because our lecture period will start at this point (also in
many other german universities).

> 2. Why do you want sage to get better at computing stuff about function
> fields?

I am not interested in function fields per se but for my thesis I am doing many
computations with elliptic curves over function fields and there are many
things in Magma that one can't do in Sage at the momemnt. I would like this to
improve. Especially I would like to have Magma's BadPlaces, LocalInformation
(Tate's algorithm), MinimalModel and MinimalDegreeModel for elliptic curves
over (rational) function fields.

Many other interesting things are possible in Magma like counting points on the
Kodaira-Neron model and computing the action of Frobenius on the components of
the singular fibers, but the things above are what I am missing most.

Best,
Frithjof