On Feb 22, 10:01 pm, P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   At present the code for printing the eigenvectors of a matrix gives
> output in different "formats" depending on the field used. For RDF/CDF, the
> output appears an a single line.
Yes, I have always found this formatting quite ugly, mostly because it
is happening to the middle item of a triple.

Other than to achieve this formatting, I wonder why Sequence was used
at all?  And I'd guess for large instances it chews up some time as
well, since IIRC creating a Sequence searches for a common parent of
the elements of the sequence.  If you want a basis to look nice, you
can ask for the basis matrix, which will format as a matrix.

As a side note, this  cr=True  formatting actually makes it *harder*
to create doctests, because there are fewer natural locations of
whitespace to use for line-breaking or indenting (or something like
that).

Having said all that, I use Sequence(cr=True) all the time when
working in the notebook, to present large output nicely (but never in
library code).  It'd be nice to have a general-purpose command to tidy
up "big" lists and tuples (or combinations of these).

My preference would be to drop  cr=True  (and maybe even Sequence) in
the construction of a basis in a free module, *unless* somebody with
some institutional memory has a good justification for why the choice
was made originally.  Thus:

1. [X] Stop passing the keyword cr=True (i.e. make the other fields
output
as in RDF/CDF)