I think I remembered the problems wrong. I think maybe it isn't an issue
with the version of VirtualBox, but an issue with the kernel that mod.math
is running. Performance with multiple cores seems to be much worse than
single core performance. An example I just tried:

with a single core in the VM, time to compile gnutls:

real 7m46.024s
user 1m23.073s
sys 4m48.342s

with 4 cores in the VM, time to compile gnutls (using a single process):

real 13m20.065s
user 4m50.114s
sys 15m43.147s

(mod.math is heavily loaded right now, so maybe this isn't a completely
conclusive test, but I think it is reliable.) I think that things are
actually much worse than it seems with the above timings. Multicore
VirtualBox seems to be basically unusable on mod.math. (I've tried this
before, and had a similar experience.)

It is hard for me to find reliable information from google, given the age
of the OS, but there is some reference to problems here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5501. On the bug discussion, there's
basically no identification of the problem other than "it goes away with a
newer kernel," though.