On Mar 21, 7:42 pm, David Roe <r...@math.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> There is now a Cython debugger
> (http://docs.cython.org/src/userguide/debugging.html).  It would be great if
> this functionality were tied into the python debugger, so that (after you
> compiled your program with some flags perhaps and start Sage under gdb) you
> could drop into the python debugger after a Python exception or segfault.
> You could then print variables, step through code....

I forgot to address this in my previous email. I don't think you want
to run pdb after a segfault, even though it could technically be
possible, you would have no idea what state the interpreter or
associated libraries are in. As such, the libpython.py debugger and
the Cython debugger (along with extensions for libpython.py) don't
modify any state from the debuggee, they only read state (unless you
tell the debugger to execute code in the debuggee). This is very
desirable to track down tricky (memory or refcounting related) bugs.
You don't want a debugger stepping on the problem or triggering some
other problem.