Given that compiler optimizations are likely to use new additions to the
ISA, I propose that our strategy for deciding whether or not to build gcc
should be:

1) use OS provided gcc if it works fine (of course)

2) build our own gcc on OSX (very popular and hopelessly broken, but at
least we know the binutils version)

3) build with reduced optimization if the OS gcc is broken but works with
less optimization (say, -O2 -march=generic)

4) build our own gcc if the OS gcc is hopelessly broken

Automatically reducing optimization levels and switching between different
gcc installs could be done by the compilerwrapper.

PS: We should ship sage-5.0 first!