Autoconf-style tests would be nice but I think it'll be painful to write
tests for obscure asm issues (like, do binutils support SSE4?). Or
compliler releases that die in an ICE after compiling pari for a while.
Maybe we should have a combination of both, first autoconf tests and then
supplement them with a list of specific (distribution, gcc version) pairs
that don't work.