On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In gmane.comp.mathematics.sage.devel, you wrote:
>>>
>>> one can try hosting a buildbot on http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm
>>> I have no idea how hard is to actually get an account there though.
>>> (And they only have ARM running Ubuntu 9.10, it seems)
>>
>> I can possibly buy an ARM linux box specifically for this purpose
>> (using Sage Foundation money), or get one added to skynet, maybe.
>> What would be the optimal ARM computer for this purpose, optimal OS,
>> etc.?   Please be as precise as possible.  Thanks!
>
> it seems there is no "high-power" ARM box available, and it's not so
> easy to get something ready-to-use, with Ethernet and HD built-in.
> Currently the fastest available things are ARM Cortex-9 chip-based,
> which is a dual-core 1GHz. A standard build of Sage on such a thing takes a
> while
> (10 hours or so, using both cores).
> One option might be:
> http://trimslice.com/web/trim-slice-h-specifications
> (specifically, Trim-Slice H250, which has a HD built-in, something
> that might be better suited for our purposes, and it has Ubuntu
> installed.)
> it can be ordered directly here:
> http://trimslice.com/web/order-direct
>
> Otherwise one might need to buy a development board, which is probably
> too much trouble. On the other hand they now (released only this year)
> have Cortex-15 chip, which
> is up to quad-core and 2GHz.

Thanks for researching this!  So I could buy a Trim-Slice H250 for
about $350, get a name assigned to it (trim.math.washington.edu)? and
put it in our server room.  But it will take 10 hours to build sage.
Or, I could wait a few months (?) for a Cortex-15 version to come out,
and it should be about the same, but take much less time to do builds.

Would you volunteer to be the admin for the machine, assuming I set it
up and give you root?

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics