On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:38:26 PM UTC, William wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Dima Pasechnik  wrote:

> >> I can possibly buy an ARM linux box specifically for this purpose
> >> (using Sage Foundation money), or get one added to skynet, maybe.
> >> What would be the optimal ARM computer for this purpose, optimal OS,
> >> etc.?   Please be as precise as possible.  Thanks!
> >
> > it seems there is no "high-power" ARM box available, and it's not so
> > easy to get something ready-to-use, with Ethernet and HD built-in.
> > Currently the fastest available things are ARM Cortex-9 chip-based,
> > which is a dual-core 1GHz. A standard build of Sage on such a thing
> takes a while
> > (10 hours or so, using both cores).
> > One option might be:
> > http://trimslice.com/web/trim-slice-h-specifications
> > (specifically, Trim-Slice H250, which has a HD built-in, something
> > that might be better suited for our purposes, and it has Ubuntu
> > installed.)
> > it can be ordered directly here:
> > http://trimslice.com/web/order-direct
> >
> > Otherwise one might need to buy a development board, which is probably
> > too much trouble. On the other hand they now (released only this year)
> > have Cortex-15 chip, which
> > is up to quad-core and 2GHz.
> >

> Thanks for researching this!  So I could buy a Trim-Slice H250 for
> about $350, get a name assigned to it (trim.math.washington.edu)? and
> put it in our server room.  But it will take 10 hours to build sage.
> Or, I could wait a few months (?) for a Cortex-15 version to come out,
> and it should be about the same, but take much less time to do builds.
>
> Would you volunteer to be the admin for the machine, assuming I set it
> up and give you root?

Sure, I (perhaps with Keshav as a backup --- Keshav, would you mind
helping?) can do the admin.
I suppose 10 hours is still acceptable  for a build (I expect it actually
be quicker with a HD,
as the solid state drive in my AC100 is kind of slow, and might take a lot
of wallclock time
during the build).

I certainly cannot predict how often a manual intervention will be needed,
but let's hope for the
best.

Dima