On 05/10/2012 08:05 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
On 2012-05-10 14:03, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
This is a huge overkill, at least on Linux, where gfortran is just one
call to package manager away
If the user has root access, then yes.

Yes. I only needed to install gfortran system-wide to stop gcc from building. However, I did see gcc fail to build when it was trying to build gcc-4.6.3, the same version as the system one. And because it failed to build gcc, I noticed that I needed gfortran; otherwise it would have spent another hour building gcc.