On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:16:08 AM UTC-4, Marco Streng wrote:

> Definitely! That would make it possible to have a smooth projective
> model, with the correct points at infinity.

I don't understand that sentence - a smooth elliptic surface can already be
embedded in P^2, right?

Note that the toric variety code assumes that the base ring is a field at
various places. So for number theory purposes it might be good to split
things into ToricVariety_ring vs. ToricVariety_field. Its mostly my
ignorance about toric varieties over general rings that prevented me from
doing so...