On Tuesday, 22 May 2012 23:26:52 UTC+2, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> > Sorry I haven't got back to you on this.  Is XCode installed on the 10.7
> > laptop?  Also, I notice that the error messages seem to indicate that
> you're
> > using the 10.6 binary; I wonder if that might be part of the problem?
>  Did
> > you compile 5.0 on the 10.7 machine, or did you download a binary?
>
> I'm not sitting at the machine right now, but I believe that XCode was
> installed. The "command line tools" are, however, NOT installed. But I
> believe the point of bundling GCC in with sage was to get rid of this
> problem, wasn't it?
>
> > Also, Jason, can you try executing the above?  I think the file you are
> using
> > is version 1.0.0 of the library, but the above code loads version 1.1.0.
> > doubt it will make a difference in the limits.h problem, but who knows.
>
> That was the first thing I tried. It gives the exact same error.
>
> --Jason Ekstrand

 Hi Jason,

the Sage README.txt says:
"

QUICK INSTRUCTIONS TO BUILD FROM SOURCE
---------------------------------------

The following steps briefly outline the process of building Sage from
source. More detailed instructions, including how to build faster on
multicore machines are contained later in this README and in the
Installation Guide:

    http://www.sagemath.org/doc/installation

1. Make sure you have the dependencies and 3 GB of free disk space.

   Linux: gcc, make, m4, perl, ranlib, and tar.
   (install these using your package manager)
   On recent Debian or Ubuntu systems (in particular Ubuntu 12.04
   "Precise"), you need the dpkg-dev package.

   OS X: Xcode. Make sure you have installed the most recent version
   of Xcode. For pre-Lion versions of OS X, you can download Xcode
   from http://developer.apple.com/downloads/. For OS X Lion, you can
   install it using the App Store. With Xcode 4.3 or later, you need
   to install the "Command Line Tools": from the File menu, choose
   "Preferences", then the "Downloads" tab, and then "Install" the
   Command Line Tools.

"

As mentioned in this thread, one can install those (e.g. "late march")
command line tools independently of XCode, but they are indispensable. They
install (amongst other stuff) what in Linux land would be called "kernel
headers" and "C library/runtime headers", in OS X nomenclature this is
named "SDK". Sage does bundle GCC now, but not some C library/runtime ---
nor, what is more important, any respective system headers. In Debian
Linux, the couterpart of these "command line tools" would be the
"build-essential" (AFAIR) metabundle, so the requirement to have this
available when trying to build C sources, is not really OS X specific. (But
with XCode 4.2 and earlier, this came more or less automatically as a part
of XCode, which is no longer the case with the "fully application-like"
XCode 4.3 and younger).
Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Georg