On Thursday, 7 June 2012 13:50:59 UTC+2, Volker Braun wrote:

> Is cbraid really the best/fastest implementation of braid groups out
> there? How does it compare to what GAP can do?

Indeed, there is (nonstandard) GAP package "braid", packaged in
gap_packages spkg, and
as far as I am told by one of its authors, Sergey Shpectorov, their package
mapclass
http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/S.Shpectorov/mapclass/
can do all of what "braid" can, and more.

Just from glancing at it, the author doesn't use many C++ features. Not