On Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:52:26 AM UTC+1, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> let me nitpick first by saying that in group theory
> "presentation" means "presentation by generators and
> relations" whereas you mean a (linear) "representation".

Fine, maybe I should have use "realization" or "imploementation" instead.
I didn't want to mix up "representation" in the group theory sense and in
the "internal representation as a sage object" sense.

> In this way of thinking, the most compact way to represent Z_n is by
> generators and relations, i.e. Z_n=<a| a^n=1>.

Agreed. There is a patch (#12339) bringing GAP's machinery for finitely
presented groups to Sage, and I believe this should be the default
implementation for groups defined by generators and relations unless
there are severe performance issues, in which case an easy way to opt to
a more efficient implementation should be provided.

> Z_n can also be naturally represented as a permutation group, with
> <(1,2,...,n)> the most straightforward one.

Here I don't agree. There is nothing "natural" in the mathematical sense
(functorial, since you wanted to nitpick) in that representation. The
closest
thing is to consider the Cayley representation of a (finite) group acting on
itself, but this is terribly inefficient and does not respect group
homomorphisms.

Many groups are internally built in GAP/Sage by means of some "minimal"
permutation representation even if they "naturally" are defined as
(quotients of) matrix groups, try to define PSL(2,7) and look at the
generators to see what I mean.

I am not aware of an easy way of obtaining a sage version of those groups
that
works with matrices; since I am currently performing some heavy
computations involving simple groups of up to order 100000 I would
certainly benefit from a faster/more efficient internal implementation than
the default one as groups of permutations.

> These are  typically available in GAP (and this in Sage) already.
> GAP has all these GL, SL, SU, Sp, etc. e.g:

Full matrix groups are, simple groups of Lie type are internally
constructed as
permutation groups. I would like to have an option to see them as matrix
groups.

Cheers