On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sad that on a fast SSD repeatedly doing the following:
>
> wstein@geom:/usr/local/sage/sage-5.2$ time echo "" | ./sage
> | Sage Version 5.2, Release Date: 2012-07-25                         |
> | Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.        |
> | Type "help()" for help.                                            |
> sage: sage:
> Exiting Sage (CPU time 0m0.03s, Wall time 0m0.03s).
>
> real    0m1.902s
> user    0m1.428s
> sys     0m0.424s
>
> always outputs 1.9 seconds!   That test was < 1 second on sage.math
> when I put in a doctest to make sure it didn't exceed that 1 second,
> when we were trying to improve the sage startup time.  In the
> intervening year (?), the test is ignored or gone, and the startup
> time seems to have got a bit worse.  Dang.
>
> On another faster machine, I'm getting:
>
> wstein@combinat:/usr/local/sage/sage-5.2$ time echo "" | ./sage
> | Sage Version 5.2, Release Date: 2012-07-25                         |
> | Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.        |
> | Type "help()" for help.                                            |
> sage: sage:
> Exiting Sage (CPU time 0m0.04s, Wall time 0m0.05s).
>
> real    0m1.580s
> user    0m1.224s
> sys     0m0.356s
>

> Any ideas?
>

> William

Another data point: I also get (just barely) under 1s on a ~1 year old
server running debian 6.0.5.

<pre>
jonesbe@sage:~/sage/sage-5.2$ time echo "" | ./sage
| Sage Version 5.2, Release Date: 2012-07-25                         |
| Type "notebook()" for the browser-based notebook interface.        |
| Type "help()" for help.                                            |
sage: sage:
Exiting Sage (CPU time 0m0.02s, Wall time 0m0.02s).

real    0m0.977s
user    0m0.676s
sys     0m0.300s
</pre>

This is a VM running on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690  @ 3.47GHz and
RAID-5 server grade hard drives. Mount options:

<pre>
/dev/xvda4 on /home type ext3
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)
</pre>

--
Benjamin Jones