I still don't understand why its so slow for you, on a recent machine Sage
startup with warm cache should be around 1s.

Playing around with the startup a bit, I noticed that the notebook stuff
imports a lot during startup. Why do we need to import anything from the
notebook except the notebook() function? This seems wasteful. Cutting out
the notebook imports saves me about 1/4 of the startup time (from ~1s to
0.75s).

We also have a lot of stuff in the sys.path that causes many failed open()
calls upon startup as Python has to check every directory for modules.
About half of all are notebook-related python packages that have no use in
mathematics. These are also subdirectories of site-packages so they are
searched twice since site-packages is also is sys.path. Just getting rid of
packages that are only used in the notebook saves about a third of all
open() calls during startup. But on my laptop that only saves something on
the order of 0.01s, basically nothing. But if you have a slow file system
then it might make a difference.