Hi,

I use the following script to check newly added trailing whitespaces just
before I upload a patch. It uses the same code in the patchbot trailing
whitespaces plugin. :-) Just put it into an executable file, say,
"check_spaces"

#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
import re
import os

def trailing_whitespace(patches, ignore_empty = True):
    bad_lines = 0
    trailing = re.compile("\\+.*\\s+$")
    for patch_path in patches:
        patch = os.path.basename(patch_path)
        print patch
        for ix, line in enumerate(open(patch_path)):
            line = line.strip("\n")
            m = trailing.match(line)
            if m:
                print "    %s:%s %s$" % (patch, ix+1, line)
                if line.strip() == '+' and ignore_empty:
                    pass
                else:
                    bad_lines += 1
    msg = "Trailing whitespace inserted on %s %slines." % (bad_lines,
"non-empty " if ignore_empty else "")
    if bad_lines > 0:
        print msg
    else:
        print "All clear."

if __name__ == "__main__":
    if len(sys.argv) > 1:
        patch = sys.argv[1]
        trailing_whitespace(patches=sys.argv[1:])
    else:
        pass