Hi Luis,

On 2012-08-30, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 12:36 PM, Luis Finotti wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I had some changes made in a older version of sage.  I wanted to create
>> a patch that I can apply to a new install, without uploading to trac (as
>> the changes are not "good enough").  Can anyone tell me the necessary
>> commands or point me in the right direction?
>
> In general, if you're trying to sidestep the mercurial workflow, ...

Are you? It seems to me that following the mercurial workflow is the
thing to do here.

If I understand correctly, you want to do a change in an old Sage
version and then apply the same change to a new version, but you do not
want to post the change to trac. So, why not simply create a patch with
mercurial in the old version (perhaps using mercurial queues) and apply
it to the new version? Of course, you *could* post such patch on trac -
but nobody forces you to actually do so.

Hence:
 * both in the old and in the new version, go to $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage,
   and do "hg qinit" (if not done already).
 * Start a new patch in your old Sage version: "hg qnew my.patch"
 * Do the changes in your old Sage version. Create the patch:
   "hg qrefresh"
   You can repeat changing and refreshing as long as you like.
 * When the changes are done: "hg export qtip > /path/to/my.patch"
 * Now change to your new Sage version (in $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage).
   Do "hg qimport /path/to/my.patch"
 * The previous command was importing the patch, but not *applying* it.
   Hence, do "hg qpush"
 * Rebuild your new Sage version ("../../sage -br" or so)

Best regards,
Simon