On Sep 4, 12:00 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Remark:  I was about to suggest a VPN too.

As a first approximation you could just use ssh remote port
forwarding. If your mac is happy to accept ssh connections on
localhost then you can forward, say, sage.math.washington.edu:10000 to
your mac's lcoalhost:22 by exewcuting on your mac:

ssh -R 10000:localhost:22 sage.math.washington.edu

With that connection and port forwarding active, people can use

ssh -p 10000 sage.math.washington.edu

to connect to your mac. Since *you* initiated the connection from your
laptop, Verizon's firewall doesn't come into play. sage.math's
firewall does, of course. Since sage.math only allows incoming
connections on arbitrary ports locally, people will have to be logged
in on sage.math. I'd say that's a desirable security feature.

Essentially, ssh already comes with all the tools for a DIY VPN.