Hi Andrew,

On 2012-10-15, Andrew Mathas <andrew.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would help if there was some good (or even bad) documentation available
> which described how to update the pickle jar.
> As far as I am aware this is
> not covered in the developers guide, or anywhere else.

If I understand correctly, we are talking here about "modifying" in the
sense of "removing stuff". IMHO, it would be totally
against the purpose of the pickle jar, if we would encourage (or just
explain how) to remove stuff from the pickle jar.

If the pickle jar doc tests break then I think it is *not* the pickle
jar that needs to be updated. Instead, it is the unpickling methods that
need to be fixed.

> documentation to complement the notes that I was given but I only found an
> oblique reference to occasionally needing to update the pickle jar in
> sage.structure.sage_object.unpickle_all

Occasionally update the pickle jar? OK, but "update" in what sense? Of
course, one occasionally needs to add *new* pickles to the pickle jar,
namely when a new frequently used and complicated class was added, or
when the pickling of an existing class has changed (then, one needs to
demonstrate that both the old and the new format can be read).

> If it is decided that the pickles that I removed need to be reinstated I'll
> do this of course.

Here is my vote: You may add stuff to the pickle jar. But please do not
remove stuff from the pickle jar.

Best regards,
Simon