On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:22:25AM -0600, David Roe wrote:
>      Here is my vote: You may add stuff to the pickle jar. But please do
>      not remove stuff from the pickle jar.
>
> +1

My point of view:

- The pickle jar is here to test that Sage supports

- The general rule is that Sage should strive for backward
  compatibility.

- There can however be a few circumstances where keeping backward
  compatibility is far more work than it's worth for the community. In
  such cases, it can be decided by consensus (e.g. through a vote) to
  break it.

- As a special case, the general rule is to not remove stuff from the
  pickle jar, except on special circumstances where it's not worth the
  trouble (we have already done that on some rare occasions).

- For the case at hand, I am fine breaking backward compatibility for
  the reasons I mentioned on the ticket.

Note that updating a pickle in the pickle jar is not much better than
removing a pickle; in both case we don't test any more backward
compatibility for an old pickle. For doing this cleanly, we should
have versioned pickles, as proposed on:

By the way, this ticket goes in the same general direction of having a
single mercurial/git repository for all of Sage.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/