On Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:00:42 AM UTC+1, Nicolas M. ThiƩry wrote:

> - Having more Sage mirrors in Africa (although the network issues were
>   more in the last kilometer).

Hi, thank's for this detailed report and the discussion. I'm somewhat
responsible for the mirror network, and I have heard reports about those
bad network conditions from several places for some time now. I've tried to
find more mirrors, but it's usually hard to get in contact with the right
persons or even find a suitable institution. For example, to day I've added
a second mirror for south america, which is probably an equally important
continent. Does anyone have contacts to some suitable institutions in,
let's say, Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador, Ghana, ... ?

Also, I try to make downloads work better by essentially to techniques:

* torrent/metalink files. they basically tell a download-helper or
web-browser to check for all sources in parallel and they also allow to
resume partially downloaded files and checking them when they have
finished. E.g. "transmission" is pre-installed on ubuntu and should be the
#1 option for downloading sage tarballs or disk images.

* compressing with lzma for those linux distributions where lzma/7z is
installed by default. In the beginning, I got some reports that it is
confusing, but for one reason or another this stopped. Probably, because
"right-click > extract" just works.

Also, it would be possible - on more modern distributions - to squeeze out
even more bytes by using lrztar + lzma/zpaq. Has anyone objections or some
experience with that?