On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to disable the trailing whitespace plugin for the patchbot, or at
> least ignore its output in the scoring. All it does is
>
> a) discourage people from reviewing patches ("the light is not green")

People *should* look at blue-blurb tickets, and not all plugin issues
should be a blocker for going in.

> b) misguides people writing patches into making unnecessary whitespace
> changes ("trailing whitespace is bad, hence I'll take it out everywhere")
>
> Its confusing and slows us down with no real benefit.

This is a fair point. From what I remember, the general consensus was
to discourage trailing whitespace, but not make sweeping changes. The
plugin lets people know it's there at least.

> If people care enough about trailing whitespace then we should
> - first formulate a policy,
> - then fix the sage library to conform, and
> - then implement commit hooks that ensure it
> - and only then have the patchbot verify trailing whitespace.

Anyone want to go first in formulating a policy? FWIW, I don't thing
fixing the library will actually be that painful, as it's easy to
automatically rebase patches to work (simply strip trailing whitespace
for deleted/unchanged lines in the patch file).

- Robert