On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Francois Bissey <
francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Yes pexpect. Same deal in sage-on-gentoo. I could add one of the patch
> from the current spkg on top of the latest version and it would work
> everywhere I could think of except the notebook. Plot would not be
> rendered. I don't remember trying with the new notebook.
>
> I would take slower too.

That is possibly naive.  When I evaluated updated pexpect last, "slower"
was dramatically slower.    I didn't want want every ptty call to maxima,
octave, R, pari, etc., to be 100 times slower...

Please at least do a test like this:

sage: timeit('gp("2+2")')

before and after switching.

I had the impression that maybe the pexpect people had added a huge timeout
or something to hack around race conditions they didn't understand, but I
didn't look into it in detail (this was back in maybe 2007, and pexpect in
sage worked fine).  Their change may be fine for most applications of
pexpect, e.g., scripting an ssh session.  However, for Sage, where basic
arithmetic may involve a call to pexpect, it is a very bad idea to throw in
a 100ms timeout (say), since the net impact could be to slow down Sage by a
factor of 200 for certain computations.

> On the other hand I cannot think of something that absolutely needs the
> latest version of pexpect.

> Francois
>
> On 22/12/2012, at 10:55, "Paulo César Pereira de Andrade" <
> paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I opened a ticket in fedora to bundle cython, ipython and pexpect
> > for the hopefully very close, fedora sagemath package, see
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/238
> >
> > cython hopefully should not be an issue, and I said it should
> > require roughly 6 months to be able to use system ipython.
> >
> > About pexpect I am not sure. I recall some comments about
> > newer versions being too slow. For the sake of using system
> > packages, I would go with it slower, but it actually does not
> > work... I did not debug it much recently, but almost 4 years
> > ago when I packaged sagemath in Mandriva I gave up
> > debugging, but for somebody that knows the code, it should
> > not be too hard to at least tell why it cannot be used, and I
> > can use that comment as the reason of needing to bundle
> > pexpect :-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paulo
> >
> > --
> sage-devel+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel?hl=en.
> >

> This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
> not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
> guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
> please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
> and any attachments.
>
> Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
> information.

William Stein