On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:19:34 Timo Kluck wrote:
> Op woensdag 27 februari 2013 20:19:32 UTC+1 schreef Simon King het volgende:
> > Hi Nils,
> >
> > On 2013-02-27, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca <javascript:>> wrote:
> > > Do we really want to test our random number generators for
> > > deterministic behaviour? If so, the test should probably at least set
> > > the seed prior to testing things that depend on actual values
> > > produced.
> >
> > Isn't this the case already?
>
> In this case, it is. The random number seed is even explicitly set (to
> 1337) in the doctest itself.
>
> > > Of course, if the algorithm used for the pseudo-random
> > > generator has actually changed, setting the seed would not be enough,
> > > but that should be rare.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, that rare situation occurs here. Hence, one can
> > still rely on deterministic output, but a *different* deterministic
> > output.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > > The more appropriate thing might be to rewrite the test to check
> > > general behaviour rather than rely on exact output.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Testing against theorems (such as: One has random data, but the test is
> > using an identity that must hold for any data) is most elegant.
> >
> > I agree. I don't know much about polybori though, so I can't really change
>
> those doctests in that way.
>
> My question is mostly: I assess the situation as being such as you describe
> above: there is a rare situation where we should accept finding different,
> yet deterministic, output. However, maybe a polybori expert might correct
> me and say that this random_set function is often used in such a way that
> it is vital that it stays backward compatible. I have a hard time imagining
> that, but I'd better be safe than sorry.
>
> It would be great if someone who actually knows what anyone would want to
> use random_set for, to give us the go-ahead.

Actually because in sage-on-gentoo we use the system boost we hit that
particular doctest failure a long time ago. I then asked Alexander Dreyer who
works on polybori if the output was ok and it didn't seem to be concerned.

You can give him a ping for his opinion. Martin Albretch could also be
contacted.

Francois