Simon King wrote:
Hi Leif,

On 2013-03-20, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
We do have show(), so we could likely have play(),

Why should there be a different command for showing a plot, showing
a movie and showing (i.e., "showing to the ear") a sound file?

Well, you could of course extend show()'s capabilities (and probably make play() just an alias), but I think different "players" should be configurable, e.g. launching RhythmBox for audio files and some movie player for videos, instead of (trying to) play them with a web browser, say.

Having to use show(some_audio_object) to listen to it would IMHO be counterintuitive. (I'd rather expect it to launch some oscilloscope-like application, or a sound editor.)

-leif

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
/\   Help Cure HTML E-Mail