On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:45:13 AM UTC+2, pang wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have downloaded a sage 5.8 binary for an atom 64 bits server, and it
> worked.

Until you invoke something that uses mulltiprocessing :)

> Then I tried to build a secure server. It takes more work than it did
> previously. I could install the openssl package, but then I had to rebuild
> Sage and it failed. It was the same error I get when I try to compile from
> source:
>
> Building modified file sage/ext/interpreters/wrapper_el.pyx.
> Executing 340 commands (using 1 thread)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 835, in <module>
>     execute_list_of_commands(queue)
>   File "setup.py", line 278, in execute_list_of_commands
>     execute_list_of_commands_in_parallel(command_list, nthreads)
>   File "setup.py", line 228, in execute_list_of_commands_in_parallel
>     p = Pool(nthreads)
>   File
> "/home/sageadmin/sage-5.8/local/lib/python/multiprocessing/__init__.py",
> line 232, in Pool
>     return Pool(processes, initializer, initargs, maxtasksperchild)
>   File
> "/home/sageadmin/sage-5.8/local/lib/python/multiprocessing/pool.py", line
> 115, in __init__
>     self._setup_queues()
>   File
> "/home/sageadmin/sage-5.8/local/lib/python/multiprocessing/pool.py", line
> 209, in _setup_queues
>     from .queues import SimpleQueue
>   File
> "/home/sageadmin/sage-5.8/local/lib/python/multiprocessing/queues.py", line
> 48, in <module>
>     from multiprocessing.synchronize import Lock, BoundedSemaphore,
> Semaphore, Condition
>   File
> "/home/sageadmin/sage-5.8/local/lib/python/multiprocessing/synchronize.py",
> line 59, in <module>
>     " function, see issue 3770.")
> ImportError: This platform lacks a functioning sem_open implementation,
> therefore, the required synchronization primitives needed will not
> function, see issue 3770.
> Error installing modified sage library code.
> ERROR installing Sage

You need shared memory for multiprocessing to work. Check if your /dev/shm
is mounted. If you compile your own kernel you might not have shared memory
enabled at all, I have seen that on some MIPS systems. There is also the
possibility that you for some strange config reason do not have access to
shared memory or exhausted your quota. So giving some more info on your
system setup would help.

Cheers,

Michael