William Stein wrote:
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:33 AM, leif <not.rea...@online.de
<mailto:not.rea...@online.de>> wrote:

    Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

        On 04/20/2013 12:14 PM, Julien Puydt wrote:

            Le 20/04/2013 10:29, Jeroen Demeyer a écrit :

                I propose to complete remove the page
                http://www.sagemath.org/__download-solaris.html
                <http://www.sagemath.org/download-solaris.html>
                since one might conclude that Sage versions laters than
                Sage 4.7 don't
                support Solaris, which is completely false.

                What is true is that there are no *binaries* made for
                Solaris. Given the
                small number of Solaris users and given the slowness of
                our Solaris
                machine, I see not much point in making such binaries.

            How slow do you mean? It takes me two days to build a bdist
            for sage...

        That's pretty slow, isn't it? Perhaps the Skynet machine can do
        it in
        one day, but still, I doubt the usefulness.

    People promised a couple of times (last time early this year IIRC)
    that t2 (i.e., a SPARC) will come back...

t2 will definitely *not* be coming back.

Ok. I think those running Solaris SPARC machines are rather unlikely to use pre-built [Sage] binaries anyway.

I would probably keep the directory / page though, with just a README explaining that we still (intend to) support Solaris on x86 and SPARC (and regularly test on these platforms), but simply do no longer offer binary distributions of Sage for these.

-leif

    For x86[_64], we may ask Dave whether he would want us to build
    binaries on hawk.

    -leif

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign