On 20 April 2013 13:33, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:

> People promised a couple of times (last time early this year IIRC) that t2
> (i.e., a SPARC) will come back...
>
> For x86[_64], we may ask Dave whether he would want us to build binaries on
> hawk.
>

> -leif

I have no objection to building binaries on hawk. But there would be
no point, as that is running OpenSolaris which would not offer binary
compatibility with much else. It might work with a Solaris 10 or 11
machine, but there would be no guarantee it would.

If an x86 or SPARC machine running an early Solaris 10 release was
used, then it would run on any more recent Solaris distribution.
Binary compatibility on Solaris is excellent. Even 25 year old
binaries should run. But such compatibility will not extend to
OpenSolaris.

IF binaries were built, I'd suggest the first release of Solaris 10
(released 2005) would be best. But forget using hawk for this.

It might be worth keeping an older SPARC binary around - perhaps
update it every 6 months or so. I don't mind producing one and
uploading it now and again.

It's a shame t2.math, which was donated free by Sun, is no longer in
use. Although the type of CPU it uses was a poor choice for Sage,
after Sage would build in parallel, it was far less painless than
before. I never quite worked out how the Sun engineer that got that
donated to the Sage project picked such an unsuitable CPU.

Dave