Hi Andrew.

thanks for your comments.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 03:47:36AM -0700, R. Andrew Ohana wrote:
> When you say "write/exchange the build systems for the core parts (c_lib,
>   python-sage, extcode...)" what exactly is your goal?

currently, the modules c_lib and sage-python etc. don't have a dedicated
build systems goal is, to create build systems for these modules, taking
over the role of ../setup.py

> I don't think it makes much sense completely rewriting the setup.py/modules,
> especially in Makefile (as it sounds like you might have been thinking).

it's not completely rewriting, think of it as modularization/conversion
(while adding checks for availibility/headers/libraries and the like).

> If you are looking for making an autotools based build system (here
> assuming part of your goal for (1) is to make a single configure for all of
> "sage as a program")

no. (1) is not about a top-level build system.
(a top-level build system is another story and relies on configurable
modules. lets discuss it!)

> then I would suggest just calling `python setup.py
> build` and `python setup.py install` in the appropriate places.

setup.py doesnt do what is needed, when packaging for a distribution.
writing a script that calls "setup.py install" doesnt make
that module distributable either.

it might make sense to call distutils from an autotools Makefile (at
least for the python part). looking at how setup.py works around
dependencies and implements parallelization, i doubt anyone will
seriously regret the conversion.

regards
felix