It might be related. I'm confident this happend while the cursor was at
the end of a line, though.

Also, I don't think this could explain the Enter-breaks-cell part, could
it?

If what you say is true and a non-empty (!) cell is joined with the
preceeding one when Backspace is pressed on the first line, I think this
should be changed. It's too easy to cause this behaviour by accident.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any such behaviour. I know that only from empty
cells, which is not related to the subject, however.