On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM, davidp <davide...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a file called hyperplane_arrangement.py in my home directory, and
> when I run
>
> sage -t hyperplane_arrangement.py

Here, probably the full sage library is imported first, e.g., "from
sage.all import *".

> from my home directory, all tests pass.  The same file appears in the
> directory SAGEHOME/devel/sage-test/sage/geometry.  If I cd into that
> directory and run sage -t hyperplane_arrangement.py, many tests don't pass.
> (I diff-ed the files, and they are identical.)
>
> The problem seems to be that a certain helper class "AffineSubspace" in
> hyperplane_arrangement.py is not being imported in the latter case.
>
> Could someone please explain what is happening?

Here, *nothing* that you don't explicitly import is imported.   The
assumption when you
test code in the sage library is that it is part of the sage library.
It makes no sense to assume
that the entire sage library has been imported when testing code that
is part of the Sage library...
because one runs into a circular dependency situation.   You'll have
to manually identify what parts
of "from sage.all import *" your code uses, and explicitly import it
in your code.

William

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics