I have a file called hyperplane_arrangement.py in my home directory, and
when I run

sage -t hyperplane_arrangement.py

from my home directory, all tests pass.  The same file appears in the
directory SAGEHOME/devel/sage-test/sage/geometry.  If I cd into that
directory and run sage -t hyperplane_arrangement.py, many tests don't pass.
 (I diff-ed the files, and they are identical.)

The problem seems to be that a certain helper class "AffineSubspace" in
hyperplane_arrangement.py is not being imported in the latter case.

Could someone please explain what is happening?