On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 02:21:39PM -0700, Bill Janssen wrote:
> I was trying to compile the Python+Fortran Assimulo package on Sage (5.11)
> on OS X, and I couldn't figure out why the gfortran link step kept failing
> -- the correct linker flags for shared libraries weren't being used.  Turns
> out that the "fcompiler" support in Numpy's distutils will *always* look at
> LDFLAGS and use them instead of the carefully determined platform-specific
> flags.
>
> And there's this code in sage-env:
>
> if [ "$LDFLAGS" = "" ]; then
>     LDFLAGS=""          && export LDFLAGS
> fi
>
> So the empty LDFLAGS setting was always clobbering the carefully determined
> platform-specific flags.
>
> Not sure this is a good thing...

While it does not exactly make sense to export empty LDFLAGS in case
they are empty already, this shouldn't affect the spkg. the correct
place to figure out appropriate flags for the Assimulo build system is
its spkg-install file/program (you may want to *append* global LDFLAGS,
maybe...).

regards
felix