Hmmm, but that would replicate the fairly complicated Python code that it
already uses to determine the proper flags.

For the moment, I've fixed it by doing an "unset LDFLAGS" in the
spkg-install file, but I think it's still a Sage bug to export empty
LDFLAGS if the user hasn't set them that way.  There's a difference between
an empty value and "not defined", after all.

Bill