On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> thought was that Sage is a math software, open source, with the aim of
>>> being a viable alternative to Ma*. There was no mention of a cloud
>>> which is just the incompatible with the open source project (as the
>>> FSF defines it).
>>
>> Why do you think that the existence of "a cloud" that provides an
>> additional way to use Sage is compatible with Sage being an open
>> source project?    To me that's no different than claiming that the
>> existence of websites running on servers running Linux is incompatible
>> with Linux being an open source project.
>>
>>> My very personal opinion is that the cloud is a bad
>>> way of making Sage popular: it makes the users dependent of a service.
>>
>> If good = "not dependent"  and bad = "dependent", then indeed it is
>> bad.  I do not define good and bad that way.   I'm more concerned with
>> providing valuable services to people, making it easier for people to
>> get work done, and providing ways to collaborate.   I want to grow the
>> community of users of open source math software, and I'm probably not
>> the first person to realize that a website-based approach is a
>> powerful tool for addressing some of these goals.
>>
>>> Up to now, I learned a lot with Sage and I hope that I contributed
>>> equivalently on teaching with it, going to Sage days, contributing
>>> with my code, etc. Sage was for me part of the public domain. If the
>>> cloud really becomes the main way of using Sage it will be for me like
>>> a dispossession. The cloud implies
>>>  - the obligation of using the cloud to share code
>>>  - no control on the execution of the softwares
>>>  - no direct access to the source code
>>>  - no way to use your own editor
>>
>> These are all valid concerns for anybody choosing whether or not to
>> use Sage (or anything else) via any computer that isn't their own
>> personal computer.  Even if a large number of people were to someday
>> use Sage via the cloud, this doesn't mean that everybody does.  You
>> can -- and will *always* be able to -- use Sage in any way you want
>> (compatible with the GPL).     If many more people are using Sage (in
>> any way, cloud or not), then the number of contributions to Sage
>> itself will increase, the quality of Sage goes up, getting support for
>> Sage development gets easier, etc., which will mean that your personal
>> cloud-free use of Sage will be improved.   Everybody wins in the Sage
>> community wins.   User attention is a zero-sum game (unless there are
>> new markets), so somebody has to loose in this scenario--it isn't us
>> Sage users -- it's the Ma*'s.
>
> I actually don't think it's a zero-sum game; I'm hopeful Sage can also
> be useful to people who otherwise wouldn't even use a computer to do
> mathematics, and convenient/helpful enough for people to use computers
> for this kind of work even more. In other words, making the total pie
> bigger. Being a viable alternative to the Ma*s is at least as
> important to those who don't/can't have access to them as to those who

I view it the same way.

> It's worth pointing out that there is a risk here for "cloud-free"
> Sage. What you haven't done is clearly outline what part of the cloud
> product will be open and what parts won't be. At the one extreme, all
> the source, configuration, etc. is open and the value-add of the
> sagemath.com is a professionally-administered hosting with lots of
> hardware and support (which, yes, anyone could clone and try to
> compete with, though the "original" that devotes its profits to the
> improvement of Sage should attract the best/most devoted employees
> and, consequently, offer the best support). At the other end is a very
> closed system where bug-fixes and improvements to core Sage itself are
> withheld from the public version (which could be legal according to
> the GPL, if you're just distributing results, not code). My
> understanding is that the sagemath cloud won't live at either of these
> extremes, but I would consider it sad if peripheral things like the UI
> or better 3d graphics and interacts never made it out to the open
> source project.
>
> There's also the concern of lock-in. Ideally, a notebook could be
> created on the cloud, downloaded and run in a "cloud-free" way (say,
> on an airplane w/o internet, or on your department's latest hardware
> dedicated to your research, or over data to sensitive to trust to the
> cloud), then even re-uploaded. Delineating a concrete goal here would
> be good.

Cloud.sage now supports the IPython notebook, which has zero lock-in.
You can run exactly the same notebook locally, without internet access
(assuming of course that you have all the dependencies installed).

Before sage.cloud and ipython notebook a few years ago, even though I
really liked
the Sage notebook, it was only used for Sage, and so the community didn't
grow beyond it. I tried to disentangle it (with William's help), but it's really
really hard to build a thriving community. IPython, in the meantime,
has succeeded
in building a large community around the IPython notebook, and so it
is now my preferred notebook, since there is no lock-in into a
particular product
and people use it in various settings, including now the cloud.sage.

So I really like sage.cloud, after I realized that it has everything I
need for my work
(compilers, vim, git, ipython notebook, and I can easily compile the
rest myself).
>From my perspective, Sage is just another software stack, that I could use
>there
(I don't happen to be using it, but I could).

I like that I setup my development there, then leave one computer, start another
computer and I can continue exactly where I left off, in the same terminal.
Especially if you have to download & compile tons of stuff,
this *really* saves time for me.

Ondrej