On 12 October 2013 18:21, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe.  One important fact is that -- measured by downloads or website
> hits -- usage of Sage ("the free software") has *not* grown at all in
> the last 3 years. For example, if you define number of active users as
> at http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/1000, then the number of users has
> floated between 10,000 and 15,000 for several years.    This suggests
> perhaps Sage is not fully succeeding at the mission statement I set
> for the project at the beginning, which is to provide a viable
> alternative to the Ma's, since they claim much larger active usage
> numbers.

I do wonder where they get their numbers from some times. Wolfram
Research claimed over a million users more than a decade ago, but why
do I see so few jobs wanting Mathematica skills? Search on a job site
for jobs needing MATLAB and there are tons of them. Do the same for
Mathematica, and there are very very few indeed. I do wonder how large
the user base of Mathematica really is.

Dave