On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:32:49 AM UTC-8, Simon King wrote:

> To say it clearly: In the scenario above, you *have* to rebase, with or
> without a change of history, and the rebase (if I understand correctly)
> is the same effort with or without a change of history.
>
> Hence, saying that "we need to rebase dependent work" is just not an
> argument against rewriting history.
>

>From what I understand from Linus's writing, rebasing *is* changing
history. The alternative is merge, which does preserve history. It just
adds to it.

I think Volker's comment was completely reasonable: if you don't put a
branch in the "branch" field on a trac ticket or if you indicate that the
branch on the ticket is not ready for serving as a base, you can consider
the branch private among the ticket participants and they can work out
their own management strategy.

Also note that Linus points out that one should show good judgement in
choosing the base for a branch in the first place. A ticket in progress
isn't a good spot. Ideally, if you need to base your work on another ticket
you would ask whoever is developing that code what would be a good point to
branch from. There could even be a commit "checkpoint for branching off for
..." or something like that. It's pretty clear you shouldn't be rewriting
history below that point any more.

A combination of "don't rewrite history someone else might depend on" and
"choose the history you're depending on with some reason" should probably
avoid problems in most cases.

If you're working on a new ticket and you just push your latest editing
work so that you can pull it and continue at home, I don't think that
commit has to be preserved. I don't think sage's history needs to document
its developer's commute schedules.