On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:41:28 AM UTC-8, Nathann Cohen wrote:

> I screamed for help, Aladin offered his, we tried a few things and
> Hell followed.

Dear Nathann, et al,

I've been to hell and back.  The situation is as bad as it sounds.

#9773 builds on William's finitely-generated free-module-over-PID code to
implement additive and multiplicative finitely generated groups in a
unified and extendable way.  Mostly just a pretty face on top of free
modules over ZZ.

The code should be solid.  Patch applies, with one obsolete hunk failing
(just ignore it).  Passes the tests that are there.  It needs a big effort
to be fully documented and then we'd want to decide if it is a useful
replacement for what currently exists.  Mea culpa for not finishing the job.

KDC's group of multiplicative units mod n is a good demonstration of how to
extend the abstract classes.  There is a cyclic group (maybe one fairly
concrete and one more presentational).  Take it for a spin and see if it
solves your original complaint.  Poke around in the (new) fg_abelian
directory.

Rob