On 11/12/2013 01:25 PM, Nathann Cohen wrote:
Hellooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

I've been to hell and back.  The situation is as bad as it sounds.

O_O_O_O_O_O_O;;;;;;

#9773 builds on William's finitely-generated free-module-over-PID code to
implement additive and multiplicative finitely generated groups in a unified
and extendable way.  Mostly just a pretty face on top of free modules over
ZZ.

The code should be solid.  Patch applies, with one obsolete hunk failing
(just ignore it).  Passes the tests that are there.  It needs a big effort
to be fully documented and then we'd want to decide if it is a useful
replacement for what currently exists.  Mea culpa for not finishing the job.

KDC's group of multiplicative units mod n is a good demonstration of how to
extend the abstract classes.  There is a cyclic group (maybe one fairly
concrete and one more presentational).  Take it for a spin and see if it
solves your original complaint.  Poke around in the (new) fg_abelian
directory.

HMmmmmm... Well, Volker more or less made me give up using
AdditiveAbelianGroup for Z/nZ and I now use IntegerModRing in this
case. Which (#15369 just got updated) is now available as
"groups.misc.AdditiveCyclic" for whoever is looking for it.

If we are in new features mood (which is much easier than actually implementing them...): Can we have a class for the *multiplicative* group of integers modulo n? Currently it is inconvenient to use, and hard to discover, the appropriate methods of Zmod, like:
- The unit_*() methods
- The multiplicative_*() methods
- and, the descriptively named list_of_elements_of_multiplicative_group() method.

Currently we have G.multiplicative_generator() but not G.unit_group_generator(), and G.unit_group_order() but not G.multiplicative_group_order(). We can have UnitGroup.gens() and UnitGroup.order(), or any other better name someone may suggest.

Regards,
TB