On Friday, December 27, 2013 10:16:06 AM UTC-8, Nils Bruin wrote:

> I'm finding that "sandpiles.py" often fails for me for varous reasons
> while doing `make ptest`. Testing the file individually or via `sage -tp
> src/sage/sandpiles` (i.e., just the relevant directory) seems fine.

It seems that the code involved in sandpiles explicitly uses the "singular"
interface rather than libsingular, so I suspect it may be some IPC that
goes wrong (the one error I am seeing seems the processing of a mismatched
regular expression and for the time-out I am seeing the python and Singular
processes just sitting there, not using any  CPU). I have been able to
trigger the error much more economically by extracting one of the doctests:

$ cat ~/tt.py
def tt():
    r"""
    The partitions of the vertices of ``S`` into ``k`` parts,
    each of which is connected.

    INPUT:

    ``S`` - Sandpile
    ``k`` - integer

    OUTPUT:

    list of partitions

    EXAMPLES::

        sage: S = Sandpile(graphs.CycleGraph(4), 0)
        sage: P = [admissible_partitions(S, i) for i in [2,3,4]]
        sage: P
        [[{{0}, {1, 2, 3}},
          {{0, 2, 3}, {1}},
          {{0, 1, 3}, {2}},
          {{0, 1, 2}, {3}},
          {{0, 1}, {2, 3}},
          {{0, 3}, {1, 2}}],
         [{{0}, {1}, {2, 3}},
          {{0}, {1, 2}, {3}},
          {{0, 3}, {1}, {2}},
          {{0, 1}, {2}, {3}}],
         [{{0}, {1}, {2}, {3}}]]
        sage: for p in P:
        ...    sum([partition_sandpile(S, i).betti(verbose=False)[-1] for i
in p])
        6
        8
        3
        sage: S.betti()
                   0     1     2     3
        ------------------------------
            0:     1     -     -     -
            1:     -     6     8     3
        ------------------------------
        total:     1     6     8     3
    """
    pass
$ ln -s tt.py tt1.py # and similarly for tt2.py ... tt9.py
$ sage -tp 2 tt*.py

This doesn't trigger the errors with absolute certainty, but at least quite
regularly (I guess I could up the number of symlinks to increase the
probability of at least one failure). Can other people confirm similar
failures? My homedir is NFS mounted on this machine, so if the singular
interface decides to use temporary files to transmit information I can
imagine something going wrong.