On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:23:35 PM UTC-8, Volker Braun wrote:

> I also agree that it would be much better if the pexpect interfaces would
> have been written against non-echoing tty. Of course that'll only work if
> the subprocess doesn't turn echoing back on. The downside is of course that
> you have to rewrite the way the pexpect interface works.

I tried: With maxima it's easy to inset a self._pexpect.setecho(0) in the
_start method. The echo line is explicitly read by a .readline() and
deactivating that is enough to get doctests to pass.

For other interfaces (especially singular) it's not so easy: The standard
eval in interfaces/pexpect returns the string between the first "\n" and
the last "\r", so it actually uses the echoed "\n" to delineate the
returned result. Making that work without echo requires a little more work
than I tried.

It does seem that at least singular, maxima, gp, don't turn echoing back
on. Gap does seem to turn it back on.